Monday, December 08, 2008

It's '90s Flashback Night (Now With Better Pictures!)


Went to a Juliana Hatfield show last night. It was kinda an impulse thing that I'd been thinking about doing for a while, but I did go, and I had a good time.

For those of you who don't remember, Juliana had a minor hit in the early '90s with the song "My Sister." She's out on tour now supporting her new record, How to Walk Away, and, oddly enough, her new book, When I Grow Up.

There were a couple of opening acts. The second one, a Massachusetts group called The Everyday Visuals, were so fey that they made the Counting Crows seem butch in comparison. Every member of the band was a multi-instrumentalist, so you had no idea who was going to be playing a guitar or keyboards on any given song. My favorite part of their set is when the lead singer, who looked like a less greasy version of Chris Robinson, jumped off the stage and loudly whispered the lyrics into the ear of a female patron.

Now THAT was gay.

Something else I noticed during all the sets: almost everyone playing a guitar would just casually lay their guitar on the floor or prop them against an amp when they weren't being played. It made me wonder why they didn't have guitar stands. I realize most of these guys are unwealthy, working musicians who can't afford luxuries like, say, guitars cabinets with two of every guitar, like what Stephen Carpenter of Deftones carries around with him. But guitar stands, just basic guitar stands, cost $10, and are in every music shop in the nation. Hell, you can even buy one that holds two guitars for less than twice the price. They're such a common item that even I own one. Is it possible that I make more money and am able to afford simple luxuries such as this, moreso than a working musician?

I shudder to think.

Oh, and not to post another "Where's Waldo" picture like this, but here's a picture of me at the show:


Good luck with that one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spin the Bottle, my gay freind. N

E said...

Yeah, remember when you went to that Nina Gordon show, you homo? Mind you, I was also at that show, but I believe that makes you gay by association.

This is also where all the "straight" guys who would rather die than listen to a female singer chime in.

Anonymous said...

I also have seen Liz Phair, Belly and the Breeders live but this blog is about your gayness, not mine.

E said...

Ya got me there.

Jesus Melendez said...

Oh yeah...two words.

Air Supply.

Yup, I've seen 'em. Do I win? Lose?!?

Wait...I've never seen Debbie Gibson though.

E said...

I've got that one covered.