Monday, March 09, 2009

They Actually Pulled It Off

Almost a year ago to the day, I lamented the fact that a Watchmen movie appeared to be in production. (In fact, I've been lamenting the fact for years.) It's a movie that's been in some form of development for 20 years. Nearly every studio has put it into turnaround at least once. It's actually gone into production three times, only to fall apart twice. In fact, just two months ago, the movie was blocked from release due to a rights dispute between Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox. But, finally, one of the most anticipated comic book properties in history has finally come out in movie form.

And, turns out, it's really good.

In deference to my review of The Dark Knight, I'm not going to say any more about the movie, other than it's a very well-made and faithful adaptation of Alan Moore's book of the same name (and I'll bet he might be kicking himself a little for signing over the rights).

One thing I will say, since I brought it up, is that if you're a huge fan of The Dark Knight, you will hate this movie (and are obviously a sufferer of mental illness). Conversely, if you hated The Dark Knight, you will tend to enjoy this movie. It's just how it seems to work out, and seems to be true with anyone I've spoke to about it.

Still, it's a great movie that should be seen be everyone; waaaaaaaay better than that Batman movie.

No comments: