Saturday, October 28, 2006

Making Some Odd Movie Choices


I was looking through the local movie listings, thinking maybe I wanted to see The Prestige. The Girl had expressed some interest as well. But, my search proved fruitless, as neither of the theatres in town here are playing the movie. Which seems odd to me, as The Prestige was the #1 movie at the box office last week.

What's odder still is that one of our theatres, rather than have one showing of The Prestige, decided to go with three showings of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, which has been out for three and a half months. It comes out on video in another month. I suspect that most people who are going to see it have seen it, since it's already the sixth highest-grossing movie ever; I really can't see a high enough turnout to justify three shows. Yet, apparently, theatres here in The JVL won't even show new movies for fear that folks might not be able to get their Pirates fix, being such big fans and all.

What a goofy fucking place this is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that back in the day, before video, the summer movies used to stay in the theaters until the Holiday movies started to come out. Maybe J-ville still hasn't embraced the new medium of video cassette? N

E said...

Actually, they've advanced all the way to the video disc, if you remember those. That's some hi-tech shit!