Monday, October 16, 2006

Aaron Sorkin: Take Note


In this post, I lamented on my much-anticipated Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip not being as good as it should be. I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that Sorkin has merely taken The West Wing out of The White House, and recontextualized it into a sketch comedy show. I think this same cast could perform a script from The West Wing, and you wouldn't really know the difference.

It seems, however, that Tina Fey (of all people) actually has the upper hand in the Battle of Shows About a Saturday Night Live-like Show with 30 Rock. Fey has done the smart thing, and cast people who were actually on SNL (herself included), and brought along Lorne Michaels to produce as well. And, for a show about a comedy show, it happens to be funny. (Is it just me, or are the "sketches" on Studio 60 painfully unfunny?)

There's a lot of sly, witty humor going on in 30 Rock. While Studio 60 takes place on the fictional network NBS, 30 Rock actually takes place at NBC. (Which I find odd, since both shows actually air on NBC.) They also take jabs at NBC's corporate parent, GE. (The GE Trivection Oven may be the greatest fake product placement ever.) I like that Alec Baldwin plays a GE executive on the show, and is the voice of GE in real life. I also see an upcoming defammation lawsuit from Martin Lawrence for Tracy Morgan's thinly-veiled portrayal of him.

The biggest thing it has going for it is that I could actually see this stuff happening on an SNL-esque show. As I mentioned earlier, the subject matter on Studio 60 seems to outweigh the setting. When they were still both on SNL, I really can't see Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels going through a lot of the stuff that Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford go through in the same roles on their show. It's too serious.

Sorkin should probably watch a lot of 30 Rock; he might learn how to make his show work. Still great, but still not right.

2 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

Honestly, I like how "Studio 60" makes SNL look like a slow stroll through the park (what with all the meetings and conversation DURING the live broadcast) than the ultra-fast break neck thrill ride that the people who have actually performed ON the show paint it to be.

Wait...that's a lie.

Like Sportnight, Sorkin has taken the "live" element out of live TV and replaced it with a slow, dragged out process.

I like all three shows (30 Rock, Studio 60 AND Sportnight), but still...I had no clue that live TV was so laid back, relaxed and sloooooooooow.

E said...

I've seen live TV before. It is laid back and relaxed...that is, until Strehl came back from his "lunch break."