Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Best Fuzz Movie Ever


While there haven't been many movies with the word "fuzz" in the title, they've usually turned out to be a lousy lot. The only ones I can think of are an early starring role for Burt Reynolds and an American action vehicle for Terence Hill. And now, we have Hot Fuzz, the best movie ever made with "fuzz" in the title.

If you know anything about this movie, I won't bore you with the specifics. But, I will say this is probably the funniest movie you will see all year. And yes, it is dumb, in the tradition of the action movies it parodies. (There are some very gratuitous visual references to Bad Boys 2 and Point Break that are very well played.) It's also a showcase for long-forgotten British actors; I found myself saying, "So that's what happened to The Equalizer, and there's Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark." It's also more gory than one would expect from an action movie. But it's still hilarious.

It's only real weakness? It's about 20 minutes too long, as the protracted conclusion goes on forever. Other than that, another win for Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright.

On a tangential note, while I was looking up showtimes for Hot Fuzz, I noticed that some theatres are listing separate showtimes for the two movies that make up Grindhouse. Which I find to be somewhat unnecessary, since there's absolutely no reason to see Death Proof. In fact, if you're paying to just see Death Proof, well, you really are dumb enough to be robbed of seeing a double feature.

No comments: