Monday, April 30, 2007

Things That Should Embarrass Me, Yet Don't


I've spent some space on this blog talking about guilty pleasures, things (like poorly-made foreign films with the words "Zombie" or "Cannibal" in the titles) which no one should like, but do. For some reason, this idea popped into my head the other day, and I got to thinking about things that I like, yet, based upon everything else I enjoy, should really dislike. Maybe it's due to some bad brain chemistry or really poor taste on my part, but there are some things I should be embarrassed to admit enjoying, but, well, life's too short to worry about how terrible my taste is.

That being said, my most embarrassing guilty pleasures:

-The entire filmography of Hugh Grant
So I like Hugh Grant. What're you gonna do about it?

-30 Seconds to Mars, A Beautiful Lie
The wussiest of Wuss Rock. The band's lead singer/songwriter is Jared Leto, for Christ's sake; don't get much wussier than that. Yet I find myself listening to this album over and over again, its catchy wussiness somehow mesmerizing me into repeat listening. The Girl even used to make fun of me for listening to this...until she began requesting that I dial it up on the iPod whilst we were in the car. I think I may have something with it being infectious...

-Grey's Anatomy
I've somehow managed to watch every episode of Grey's Anatomy. I really don't even enjoy the show that much, but, for some reason, I tune in every week. This one really may be attributable to mental illness.

-American Idol finalists
I have not watched an episode of American Idol in five years, right about the time The Girl decided the show wasn't worth dedicating 15 hours a week to watching it. (And do we really need Idol on a near-nightly basis? Remember what happened to Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? Yeah, me neither.) In fact, anyone who watches the show (or any reality TV, for that matter) should be forced to watch it, Clockwork Orange-style, in a never-ending loop for eternity. However, I do sure enjoy the hell out of the respective discographies of Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry. Maybe my Hell punishment will be to listen to Clay Aiken and Justin Guarini records for the rest of time. That would be bad.

-Last Action Hero
For most people, watching a movie a dozen or so times is an honor they reserve for only their most favorite of films. The same is true for me. Yet, I have seen the complete trainwreck that is Last Action Hero at least that many times. And what is there to like about a movie with a horribly rewritten screenplay, full of awful one-liners; a movie with a grim and depressing second half; a movie that was grossly over-budget and grossly under-produced; a movie that saw its opening weekend gross get doubled (and keep getting doubled every subsequent weekend) by Jurassic Park, which opened the weekend before? Well, it entertains me (and possibly only me). That's what's to like about this disaster of a movie.

-And, of course, there's this.

Let the ridicule begin. But only if you don't have any glass houses for me to throw shit at.

5 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

Me...I love Robbie Williams. That's MY guilty pleasure and I don't care who knows!

E said...

Now THAT is embarrassing.

Jesus Melendez said...

Hugh Grant?!?

E said...

Yeah, this from a guy who said "Robbie Williams."

Jesus Melendez said...

We could go back and forth with this you know.