Sunday, November 18, 2007

Running Out Of Movie Ideas In 3...2...1...

When I saw Gone Baby Gone the other day (great film, btw), I noticed a poster for something called The Other Boleyn Girl. Knowing what little I know about history, I do that if we're making movies about this, we've officially run out of movie ideas.

I'm guessing that the "other Boleyn girl" to which the title refers is Mary Boleyn, the sister of wife #2 of Henry VIII. Mary is alleged to have had an affair with Henry before his introduction to Anne, whom he would persue for years and later marry.

Now, most of my history knowledge comes from TV, and the best source for Henry VIII knowledge on TV is Showtime's The Tudors, which just happens to be entirely about Henry and ANNE Boleyn.

I've seen every episode of the show, and, if I'm not mistaken, Mary appeared in part of one episode, basically long enough to show her tits, before she disappeared entirely. I'd say this wasn't odd, as the show isn't called The Boleyns, except that other Boleyn family members appear in every episode. The father has appeared in every episode and the brother has appeared in numerous episodes as well. But Mary? Just that one.

And if Mary doesn't appear in a show that is tangentially about the Boleyn family, how historically significant could she have been? Apparently enough to merit an entire movie that we don't need to see.

I think when The Other Boleyn Girl comes out, I'll take a pass. I'm saving the money I've alotted for movies about marginally-important historical figures for the upcoming Lewis Powell bio-pic, The Man Who Considered Killing Lincoln. I hear it's great.

2 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

Lewis Powell...hooray!

E said...

Sometimes the jokes are just for the readers.