Thursday, March 27, 2008

Dr. Pepper Loves G N' R

Today, it was reported that the Dr. Pepper company would give a free Dr. Pepper to every man, woman, and child in the U.S. (with the odd exceptions of former G N' R guitarists Slash and Buckethead) if Guns N' Roses actually releases its long-awaited album Chinese Democracy during the 2008 calender year. The company claimed that they could appreciate the 10+ years it is taking the band to put out the record, as Dr. Pepper itself took a long time to perfect its mix of 23 ingredients.

Axl Rose issued a response, stating, "We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy, as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him."

Ya know, to me, it sounds like Dr. Pepper doesn't want G N' R to release Chinese Democracy. Three hundred fifty million people times whatever a can of Dr. Pepper costs sounds like a hell of a corporate writedown to me. It sounds to me like they're hedging their bets, and are hoping that, well, it's already been 14 years; why the hell would it come out this year?

It's a nice promotional item, both for Dr. Pepper and G N' R, one that I don't think will amount to anything from either side. I, personally, hope they do release their record, as I could use a Dr. Pepper right about now.

Sure would be tasty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, now that's why I read this blog! News that I had yet to hear about anywhere else. Of course, that just means that I don't keep up with such things. And yes, a Dr. Pepper would be tasty right 'bout now. Tasty is a great word (that I can't imagine E actually uses in conversation) that should appear in this blog at least once per post.