Monday, June 06, 2005

A Day At The Races

On Saturday, I attended the Champ Car race (yeah, I know, fucking Champ Car) in Milwaukee. Here's some totally random pictures of race day.

The official mascots of the TimeWarner Roadrunner 225. Love that corporate synergy.


Lee Greenwood, surprisingly, not singing Proud To Be An American.


A really fucking big flag.


On lap five (!!), Ryan Hunter-Reay crashed the Briggs & Stratton car. Here's his pit moments after the crash:

And 20 minutes later. They're halfway to Portland by this point.


A Tale of Two Spotters: On the left is the spotter for Alex Tagliani, hurriedly updating his driver's status. On the right, the spotter for Paul Tracy, who had a 10 second lead at that point, doing absolutely nothing. Probably got sick of Tracy yelling over the radio, "I know what position I'm in. If you show me that fucking sign one more time, I'm crashing this car into you."


Paul Newman (with his arm up) accepting a giant novelty check.


And, finally, Paul Tracy, after having led 192 of 221 laps and finishing a quarter mile ahead of everyone else, does the obligitory victory donut.


Other than the hearing loss and sunburn I suffered, all and all, a good time.

No comments: