Monday, June 27, 2005

I Love "Greatest" Lists


Am I the only person who realizes the ridiculousness of "Greatest Whatever of All Time" lists? They're completely subjective, and are revisited on a almost yearly basis, so they're instantly irrelevant. "Remember, two years ago, when I said that the Rolling Stones were the Best Band Ever? Well, now it's Led Zepplin. Times have changed, and now they are Best Band Ever." Truly embarrassing.

The latest embarrassment is Spin magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Records of the Past 20 Years. (The scope of these lists gets a little ridiculous, too. "The 50 Greatest Artists of the Past Week." "The Top 10 Records of The Last 1000 Years.") I particularly like this list, since it roughly covers the years in which I actually started buying records.

The Top 10 Albums of The Last 20 Years:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
3. Nirvana - Nevermind
4. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
5. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
6. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
7. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
8. Prince - Sign 'o' the Times
9. PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
10. N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

Um, am I missing something here? I'm picking up three, maybe four of these records if I see them laying in the street.

Actually, the entire list is not bad. If asked to pick this list, I would pick many of the same records. (Not in this order, but the records would be on there.) What I do have a problem with is the Top 10 list. Some of the choices (Surfer Rosa, It Takes A Nation...) aren't even their respective artists' best records. (Prince is the odd exception here, as his best record, Purple Rain, falls outside the "20 year" criteria.) Others (The Smiths, Pavement) are head-scratching inclusions.

The one that really burns my ass is OK Computer at #1. Radiohead isn't even a good band, so how is their "best" album the Best Album Ever? If given these 100 records and asked to pick one, I'm picking roughly 99 other albums over that one.

But then, look at the source: This is from Spin magazine, Your Home of Pretentious Music Criticism. What John Q. Musiclistener considers a good record wouldn't even be good enough to wipe Spin's critics' asses with. They want to tell you how awesome Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is, when all you want to do is listen to the new Destiny's Child record.

Oh well; assholes will be assholes, and their "Greatest" Lists will always suck. Listen to what you like, critics be damned!

2 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

PJ Harvey...The Smiths...Pixies?!?

Wha...huh?!?

The only albums that I know I know people who own them are PE, NWA, Nirvana and De La Soul (thanks, Bachman!)...and all of those came out prior to 1993. Oh, and I will go on record by saying that if Radiohead is so fucking good...why can't I find ONE PERSON who (a) owns an album or (b) can name a song of theirs.

I can't wait until the NEXT great 100 albums list since I am sure Coldplay and The White Stripes will populate the Top Ten.

Kill me now and point me in a direction where GOOD albums make the list!

E said...

I will mention the 3 Feet High and Rising is one of the records I would pick up in the street. And, yes, Bachman is to blame for my liking that record. Bastard!!