Sunday, August 07, 2005

Mel Gibson Is Jesus



Check out this story, where the people of Sydney have asked Mel Gibson to recreate the crucifixion of Christ for a Catholic celebration they will be holding in 2008.

Feel free to call me on this if I'm speaking out of line, but isn't this the craziest fucking thing that anyone has ever come up with? And when did Mel Gibson suddenly become the leading religious authority on Christ's crucifixion? As far as I can tell, all the guy did was read The Book and then make a movie about it. And this makes him The Guy to do this incredibly insane thing? Monty Python (kinda) made a movie about the Crucifixion; why weren't they consulted? And I know that I've read the book The Bone Collector, AND seen the movie, but I don't know shit about quadriplegic detectives. What's next, James Cameron being consulted to recreate the sinking of the Titanic at the 2012 100 year anniversary? (Actually, that's kind of an unfair comparison, as Cameron probably is one of the leading authorities on the Titanic. Shit, the last time he recreated "The Sinking," it won 11 Oscars.)

Mind you, all of this is just in the negotiation phase. Hopefully, Mel will see the Light and take a pass on this. I'm sure there are plenty of Catholics who would appreciate him not turning the Death of Jesus into a traveling roadshow.

No comments: