Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The WB + UPN = Even More Shit No One Will Watch


I watch a lot of TV, but I can honestly say I don't watch a lot of programming on The WB and UPN. (I don't watch anything on CBS, and that's the #1 network, so maybe I just have bad taste. But I don't think so.) I have watched a couple of shows on The WB and enjoyed them. As for UPN, the only show I can think of that was on UPN was Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and that's been off the air for two years. I'm not even sure if my TV gets a UPN station.

With that in mind, it comes as no surprise that The WB and UPN have decided to combine to form a new network called The CW, which stands for "Something." Apparently, their TV lineup will be an all-star selection of both networks' best and most popular shows. (It appears that UPN is pretty much bringing nothing but wrestling and Tyra Banks to the table, as, well, that's pretty much all that's on UPN. Oh, that and black sitcoms.)

Maybe it's just me, but this just does not seem like a good idea. Maybe CBS and Warner Brothers, UPN and The WB's respective parent companies, think that combining their networks will produce a combined Nielsen rating that puts them that much closer to fourth place. (UPN and The WB rank fifth and sixth among networks.) Maybe they thought it would be better if they competed for last place together instead of against each other. Maybe they're just stupid. Who knows. All I know is that there's going to be yet another network whose programming I'll entirely ignore.

I can't wait.

3 comments:

E said...

I hate to bust up your love affair with UPN, but Charmed is on The WB. See why this is such a perfect merger? No one has any idea what's on either network!

Jesus Melendez said...

Speaking of Charmed...here's some trivia about your precious bloghost E: When I got married, E spent two nights in a hotel with a guy who once appeared on an episode of Charmed.

Now THAT'S one to grow on!

E said...

And yes, it was in a completely homosexual context. These things happen when you drink too much.