Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Last Five Movies



The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I hate remakes. I'm of the opinion that, one day, all movies will be remakes. And we're heading in that direction at ridiculous speeds. Remakes are never as good as the original, and are almost always a complete disappointment. And yet, I keep watching them. I somehow thought I'd be entertained by a remake of Hills Have Eyes, but, even though it's incredibly faithful to the original, I wasn't. It's just another crappy horror movie, with none of the exploitive feel of the original. That, and they don't kill grandma in this one, which is really disappointing. On a related note, in front of this movie was a teaser for what appears to be a remake of The Omen, and, seeing as The Girl is a huge Omen fan, I'm sure that's yet another remake I'll have to see. I can't wait.

The Weather Man (2005)
Nicolas Cage should probably be at least nominated for an Oscar every year. He was in two movies last year, and he played two completely different characters in both. He's the best "actor" we have. I'll watch anything he's in.

Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
This is one of those movies that literally everyone saw on Kung-Fu Theatre as a kid. It had been about 20 years since I'd seen it, and turns out it's just as fucking goofy as I remember it being as a kid. An absolute classic.

Running Scared (2006)
If Paul Walker running around with a gun, screaming at everyone, is your idea of a good time, this is totally for you. Actually, it's not that terrible of a movie, although the plot-negatating twist at the end is a bit off-putting. Oh, and the Tony Scott-esque cinematography. Other than that, it's all right.

The Matador (2005)
I usually hate offbeat movies, since the filmmakers try to be so quirky, that they forget to make the film entertaining (and yes, I am addressing the filmmakers of Napoleon Dynamite). Not so with The Matador, the story of a burnout hitman, who starts an odd friendship with a businessman in Mexico. It's quirky (as nothing in this movie could possibly happen in real life), but it's also entertaining. I don't smile about much, but I found myself smiling during most of this movie. It's not knock-down funny, but it sure is enjoyable as hell. Check it out.

No comments: