Thursday, September 28, 2006

By Reader Request

I consider myself an Aaron Sorkin fan. I've enjoyed everything he's written (with the exception of Sports Night, which, I don't know, just didn't seem that good). So, needless to say, I was pretty stoked when he decided to come back to television with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

The verdict is still out on this one. The writing is great, but maybe Sorkin just isn't suited for this material. It's nowhere near as smart or well-written as The West Wing (which won the Best Drama Emmy every year Sorkin, who also wrote every episode, was with the show). There's a weird religious undertone to the show which seems out of place.

The casting also leaves something to be desired. Oh sure, Bradley Whitford is great in the Bradley Whitford part, and Matt Perry has dialed the Chandler down enough to be entertaining, but some of the other choices just don't work. Allison Janney would have been much better in Amanda Peet's role. (And why can you still see Amanda's teeth, even when her mouth is closed?) And Steven Weber just doesn't work in a role that, well, Tim Daly should have played. (How's that for a Wings mix-and-match?) And don't even get me started on the "cast." They should pick up Horatio Sanz and Chris Parnell now that they've been kicked off SNL; at least those guys have actually been on a sketch comedy show.

Like I said, verdict's still out on this one. Hopefully, even though it's doing so shitty in the ratings, it will stick around long enough to turn into something good. I sure hope so; there's gotta be at least one decent thing to watch on TV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think that Sorkin dialogue works really well when the topic is serious (i.e. Presidential politics in WW and Military Trials in A Few Good Men), but does not work quite as well when there is not as much gravity (Sports Night and S60). It's still well-written and has a chance to be really good, so I'm watching. Some interesting casting decisions indeed. Peet is there to serve as a future mate for Perry or Weber, not sure which. I do enjoy DL Hughly...

Jesus Melendez said...

I enjoyed West Wing's first season. I enjoyed Sports Night (to an extent). I enjoy the piss out of Studio 60.

HOWEVER...over time, I've found that ALL of Sorkin's characters end up talking EXACTLY alike. That bugs me. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case with Studio 60...but then again, the lack of a laugh track helps.

E said...

West Wing had a laugh track?