Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm A Sam Raimi Fan Again


During the '80s and early '90s, I was a huge Sam Raimi fan. During that time, he made a string of over-the-top movies that have subsequently become cult classics. His gonzo, in-your-face style set him apart from every director out there, making him my favorite director at the time.

But then, Raimi decided that he no longer wanted to be an original and extraordinary director, and started making movies that were as edgy as a bowling ball. When Spiderman emerged from copyright Hell and Raimi was tapped to write and direct, I thought maybe Raimi would snap back to form and would bring some of his directorial craziness to a movie series that would benefit greatly from it. But he directed those movies with all the flair and panache of Brett Ratner. Raimi had officially become a Directron 5000, turning out movies as standard and as boring as those made by any other nameless hack.

The selling-out of Sam Raimi was complete; he was dead to me.

Then I hear that Raimi was directing a horror movie called Drag Me to Hell, which was exciting for me, because Raimi's previous horror movies are what made me a fan in the first place. But considering the movie is rated PG-13, which...a PG-13 horror movie is an oxymoron along the lines of a virgin whore, and the fact that the numerous horror movies that Raimi has produced during the '00s have all left something to be desired, I was pretty non-plussed. But, I went and saw the movie anyway, because I figured I'd give one of my former faves one last chance.

And I couldn't have been more pleased. The Sam Raimi of old is back.

All of the zany directorial flourishes that Raimi appeared to have lost over the past decade are back in full effect. The whip pans, extreme close-ups, even the classic "shaky cam" are all put to good use. Raimi can't seem go five minutes without putting something absolutely disgusting on the screen; it may be PG-13, but it's a hard PG-13, if you can imagine such a thing. And even though the movie has a ridiculous plot and set pieces that are laughably stupid, Raimi doesn't even attempt to take himself seriously. Playing this movie straight would be death, but Raimi goes for laughs as much as scares and manages to dole out an equal number of both. This is exactly what I expected and needed from a Sam Raimi horror movie.

The Sam Raimi I loved as a kid is back, and I'm tentatively calling myself a fan again. Thomas Wolfe once postulated that you couldn't go home again, returning to your roots once you've found success elsewhere. Well, Sam Raimi has, and I hope he stays there.

And, as long as you're here, take a moment and vote in the poll for your favorite "old school" Raimi movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw it, liked it. Enjoyed the not-so-subtle Apple jokes at Apple Boy's expense. Also enjoyed ending.
But I thought that Raimi Spidey was good too. But we seem to disagree on comic movies. Liked TDK, thought Watchmen was self indulgent. This is where you say, "You just didnt get the genius of the book, man!" N