Monday, February 14, 2005

Hangin' Wit My MU Homey



The Girl and I attended a Milwaukee Bucks game the other night. Some random thoughts:

--The game was against Atlanta, yet I was somewhat surprised not to see lifelong Hawk Chris Crawford, my classmate at Marquette, in attendance. But then, during one of the periods of boredom that occurs during a 30 point blowout, there he was, in street clothes at the end of the Hawks bench. I wonder if it's exciting for him come back to his college home court. Probably not.

--Speaking of MU alumni, the amount of Dwayne Wade Miami Heat gear available at the MU clothing store is shocking. Not a drop of Bucks gear, however. I began to think I was maybe in Miami, and not Milwaukee (No Shaq gear, though; sorry).

--Speaking of Heat alumni, I was shocked and scared to see that Kevin Willis was playing for the Hawks. Willis is the same age as his uniform number (you'll have to Google that), and last played with the Hawks when I was in high school. Hang it the fuck up, dog.

--The Bucks are returning to their late '80s form of being able to field a team of almost entirely white guys.

--Speaking of white Bucks, when did Toni Kukoc become like the most underrated role-player in the NBA? The guy is slow and doesn't score much, but he's got some Magic Johnson-like passing skills. And he ran the floor like he was trying to "Threepeat the Threepeat". I know, I know: The lifelong Bulls fans will balk that he isn't that great. And maybe he isn't. Maybe he was just showing off, because I was in attendance. Stranger things have happened.

--A bit of Bucks trivia: Of the six lottery picks they've had in the past 10 years, the Bucks have traded away four draftees before they ever played a game. These players? Danny Fortson, Stephon Marbury, and Dirk Nowitzki (oh yeah, and Gary Trent). I mention this, as they are really bad and will probably be in the lottery again this year.

Overall, a fun time. As the game was a blowout between two shitty teams, it was actually more interesting watching all the mongoloids around the arena. And people say watching shitty basketball is no fun. I beg to differ.

No comments: