Sunday, July 15, 2007

It's, Like, Sooo Whatever

I really dislike Avril Lavigne. I cannot think of a more blatant example of a manufactured star than Lavigne. (Some might claim the American Idolers are more so, but at least they kinda earned their fame.) If you look up the word "product" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Lavigne's career. Here's a girl who fully admits she only listened to country music growing up, that she wasn't into pop music until, well, never, as far as I can tell from listening to her songs. Yet, there she is, being cast as a hard-rocking, sass-talking, punk rock grrl. All of her songs come from a Legion of Super-Heroes of writers and producers. She's about as edgy as a bowling ball. And she does even have pop-star looks to fall back on; she's rather ugly, in an ugly sort of way.

Needless to say, I often wish for bad things to happen to Lavigne. And I got my wish when a group no one's ever heard of called The Rubinoos decided to sue Lavigne, claiming that she had ripped off their song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" to make her song "Girlfriend." Seeing as Lavigne doesn't write her own music, I can see this happening.

I checked into it (and you can too, by going to The Rubinoos' website), and she did kinda rip off the song, ever so slightly. So, they appear to have a (incredibly shaky) case here. What I don't get is why seemingly credible and respectable writers like the folks in The Rubinoos would want to get mixed up with a shitbag like Lavigne. Oh, I know..uh, money.

Hey, if being eternally linked to one of the crappiest songs I've ever heard makes you feel better about yourselves, go for it. Might as well get that payday when you can. And, it costs Avril money, so I'm all for it.

Bravo, you glorious, money-grubbing bastards!

No comments: