Saturday, July 21, 2007

Like Father, Like Son


Went to Flashback Weekend in Chicago on Saturday. Some random observations:

-This was the biggest collection of freaks I had ever seen. I saw a C3PO, a TIE fighter pilot, a yellow Power Ranger, numerous Svengoolies, assorted zombies, freaks, and mutants, and tons of people who probably dress like that on an everyday basis. And I thought my outfit of polo shirt and jeans was pretty outrageous.

-The Girl was able to correctly identify Alice from the fourth and fifth Nightmare on Elm Street movies without even knowing she was going to be there; I thought she was somebody's personal assistant. Shows you what I know about obscure character actors.

-Ira Heiden, who played the Wizard Master in Dream Warriors, is just as nerdy and unpopular in real life as he was in that movie. "Moreris: you die," indeed.

-Ya know how Freddy Krueger kinda walks like he just spent six hours on horseback or has a slight case of rickets? Robert Englund actually walks like that.

-Heather Langenkamp is the first person in history to spell The Girl's name correctly on the first try. Who says actors aren't better than we are?

-The Nightmare on Elm Street reunion Q&A was mostly relegated to questions about John Saxon's work on non-Nightmare movies.

-Speaking of John Saxon, I wanted to asked him how it was to work on Cannibal Apocalypse, but I chickened out. Instead, I told him I was a big fan of his work, the most ridiculous thing I've said since I uttered the phrase, "Congratulations on your no-hitter, Mr. Bosio."

-Ronee Blakley has gained four pounds for every year since Nightmare on Elm Street came out. You do the math.

-Anchor Bay Entertainment, which put on this event, chose not to bring any of its hundreds of movies for sale. One of its competitors, Synapse Films, brought their entire catalog.

-I was somewhat disappointed by the fact that they only had two out of a possible, like, nine Jasons there. And neither one was Kane Hodder, who holds the record with three go-rounds as Jason. What kinda horseshit is that?

And lastly, but not leastly:

Michael Berryman, who won the birth defect lottery, and whose appearance would scare small children, turns out to be one of the most cordial people I've ever met. We ended up having quite a lengthy discussion about the sequel of the remake of The Hills Have Eyes and his distaste for the whole thing. He even signed a glossy of himself in Hills Have Eyes with the message, "Let's go camping!"

Classic. I think I may have a new hero.

3 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

Fuck Chris Bosio. Hey kids...there goes Ken Griffey Junior!



Or maybe it was Marc Newfield. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Only because she is my friend do I feel the need to defend her- I get your humor, I get that its cool to be quippy and witty on a blog so that you can fit in with the rest of the world. However Ronee Blakley had a horrible illness that lasted several years which is why she gained weight. Don't make it sound like it was her choice to remain a clever witty blogger.

E said...

You're right: I do seriously doubt that it was Ronee Blakley's choice to remain a clever, witty blogger. I see her as a more serious type. She is a Oscar nominee and talented songwriter, after all.