Sunday, September 23, 2007

I Missed One

At the start of summer, I wrote a post about the upcoming onslaught of irrelevant and unnecessary sequels. I even put up a poll, which I've rather lazily left on the right side of this page.

And now, Sequel Summer is over, but I appear to have missed an irrelevant and extremely unnecessary sequel (and no, it's not Resident Evil 3, which is still pretty excessive). I'm taking about, of course, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, a sequel to '98's Elizabeth.

Now, Elizabeth was kinda an art film. It was nominated for seven Oscars (winning one) and a shitload of BAFTAs (winning five). It even did pretty good business, considering it's a Period Drama. Movies like this are usually made and then left to history.

Yet, here we are, nine years later, anticipating a sequel. Honestly, what the hell could this movie be about? I know it deals with Elizabeth's dalliances with Sir Walter Raleigh, and appears to feature some sort of war, but do we really need a movie that details, like, five additional years of Elizabeth's life? Who the hell's gonna line up to see this? Not me, and I'll line up to see anything. (Hell, I got in line to see Hostel. That's how stupid I am.)

Hopefully, whatever studio moron that pushed to get this made will get his early Christmas present with an $18 opening weekend. That'll show him.

No comments: