Saturday, September 08, 2007

Meet The New iPho...od. iPod. Huh.

I don't mean to bust Apple's balls. They really don't deserve it. For years, as an electronics and computer company, almost all of their equipment has been a masterpiece of design and technology. If there were more companies releasing product like this, the world would be a better place.

But, the thing is, when Apple makes a misstep, it tends to be a huge one. Like when they made a USB flash drive that does nothing but play music. Or the big white speaker with an iPod sticking rather conspicuously from the top of it. Or redesigning their iPod Nano into a 12-oz can coaster. These are Apple's jarring missteps.

And then, there's the iPhone. I've ridiculed this creation in the past. And I'm not the only one scorning it. This is the only device in history that I can think of that has spawned an entire subculture devoted to subverting its service plan. There are people who legitimately hate this thing, regardless of how cool it may be. My main problem with it is that, essentially, it's a gigantic iPod with a phone in it.

Now, as though Steve Jobs reads this blog and is designing technology specifically for me to hate, Apple has come out with the iPod Touch, which is (drum roll, please) an iPhone without the phone.

Ya know, in that post I linked to earlier in the post, I floated the idea of the PSP with phone functionality. Well, now that Apple has come up with this phone-less iPhone, I'd have to say the PSP is the better device. It plays movies, music, shows pictures, and connects to the WWW, just as this new iPod does. But, it also plays games, has transferable and expandable memory, AND (this is huge) has a changeable battery. Seriously, you put a phone in this thing, this is a pretty super piece of technology.

Mind you, I'm not shilling for Sony, as I think they're the stupidest electronics company out there, but, if they wanted to do something smart for once, they'd do this. There's apparently a market for rather unwieldy electronic devices that sometimes serve as phones; may as well make the best one there is.

No comments: