Saturday, September 01, 2007

Michigan Got Smoked


The big news in sports this weekend was that #5 Michigan, who probably would have played for the National Championship last year if the BCS wasn't rigged, lost to Appalachian St. in a nail-biter. This loss marks the first time that a ranked Division I-A team has ever lost a game to a Division I-AA (or, Division I Football Championship Subdivision, as it's now called) team.

Everyone seems to be making a huge deal out of the fact that Michigan lost to a Division I-AA school. It's not as though Michigan lost to a Division III team or, worse yet, a high school team; they got beat by a I-AA school, which are almost exactly the same as Division I-A schools, except they don't participate in the BCS. And, it's not as though they got beat by Prairie View; they got beat by Appalachian St., probably the best team in I-AA right now. Just because they're in a different classification, due to the bullshit politics of NCAA football, doesn't mean they're not a good football team.

What I found to be most surprising is that this hadn't happened before. I find it hard to believe that the best I-AA team had never beaten the #25 I-A team before, but I guess that's the way it is. The least surprising thing is that it was Michigan that lost this game, as they are just continuing their choke streak (currently at three) from last year.

Congrats to Appalachian St. on a great start to their season, and, GO WOLVERINES!!

2 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

It's about time someone got burned by scheduling what they thought was a cupcake opponent.

Way to do your homework, Michigan!

E said...

That must be the same reason Marquette loses to Winthrop and N.D. St. on a regular basis.