Thursday, January 13, 2005

Video Pick of the Week (and A Personal Attack on Its Director)


This week's Video Pick is M. Night Shyamalan's The Village, not because I think you should see it, but because it's the worst movie ever made by a genius. "But," you say, "that movie blew dog dick. So, how is this guy a genius?" You're right: it did. But, that doesn't hide the fact that M (as I'll refer to him, so I don't have to type that last name) is one of the best directors working. He quite possibly is the Next Spielberg. He has the ability to do what no other director in Hollywood can do, which is create atmosphere out of nothing. He doesn't need to resort to loud noises or weird lighting or gross out shit to create a sense of terror. This guy just knows how to shoot a scary movie. Then why is this movie so bad? Chiefly, because M is the shittiest screenwriter in the history of the world.

Ya see, because M wants to be one of these auteur geniuses, like Spielberg, he thinks he needs to write the screenplays, as well as direct the movie. But, while Spielberg may receive an SP credit, he doesn't actually come up with these ideas; he's merely rewriting earlier drafts of the script. M, however, comes up with these dogshit ideas all by hisself, and, unfortunately for us, he's really a terrible writer. "Well, what about The Sixth Sense? That was really good, and he wrote that." You're right, it was really good, and he did write it. But I'll explain it away with a saying I use to describe athletes having career years: anyone can put up MVP numbers; it doesn't mean they're any good or will ever do it again. The Sixth Sense was M's MVP year; kinda hard to top those numbers. Anyone can come up with one good idea, and that was his. Everything else he's written is toilet paper (BTW, Tarantino is slowly getting to be this way. But, seriously, how do you top Pulp Fiction? IT'S PULP FICTION, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!).

So, M, please, spare the world: stop writing. Go get yourself Robert Towne or Scott Frank or, hell, Carrie Fisher, but, please, I beg you: find someone else to do your writing. You're a great director, but your scripts have only gotten worse as they go (I believe I've called every one of them since Sixth Sense Worst...Screenplay...Ever, and that's really a feat, to be able to top the worst ever every time out the gate). I can't imagine what the next monstrosity you write will be like. Jesus, save us now.

2 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

Hey, gang...I've got ANOTHER reason for everyone to hate The Village. Or, since I haven't seen it (yet)...I've already got ONE reason to hate it.

Paparazzi.

Not the fuckers running around Hollywood with their cameras...the movie by Mel Gibson's former makeup artist. So, you're asking yourself...Jesus, what the Hell does this have to do with The Village?

I'll tell ya.

I'm one of the quadrillions of people who take part in Netflix and was expecting The Village this past weekend...but it never showed up. Now, for whatever reason, I also had Paparazzi in my queue and that DID show up.

Thank God.

Long story short...the movie is awful. It is pretty much what you would expect from someone who sucks the dick of Mel Gibson all day. As I watched it, I could only imagine how this thing came about (and www.imdb.com confirmed it): Mel and his buddies sitting around talking about the paparazzi and how it would make a great revenge flick...and he is half right.

So, here comes the pseudo-review...Bo Laramie (Cole Hauser) is a seemingly hotshot actor (he just made his BIG action flick debut) and all the camera jocks want to get every picture of him that they can. Even if it means dangering the life of his family. In a very Princess Diana-esque scene, the paparazzi force Laramie and his family roadster into a car wreck (why this douche was driving his family around after his movie premiere if he is such a huge star is beyond me), but NONE OF THEM DIE!

Question...a revenge flick has to have a reason for revenge, right? I mean, GENERALLY someone close to the person seeking revenge gets killed, right? Stop me when I am full of shit here.

Okay, I'm rambling...Bo seeks revenge and gets it. Along the way he drops hints the size of elephant turds that HE is the culprit of these mysterious paparazzi deaths, but for whatever reason those clues get overlooked. Blah, blah, blah...he gets his revenge.

The End.

Random thoughts:
- What pictures does Mel Gibson have of Vince Vaughn, Chris Rock and Matthew McConaughey that they agreed to show up in this bitch?
- Was Cole Hauser the best they could find? He is about as dynamic as dogcock.
- A revenge flick anti-hero has to make you WANT him to kill people, right? There AT LEAST needs to be a motive...OR a desire to have the offenders tracked down.

So that's it...dogcock and all. I wish I had a snappy star rating for you, but, fuck it...watch this movie and YOU come up with a rating.

Jesus out.

E said...

Yes, Paparazzi was a terrible movie. First off, they pick someone to play the hero who would be more suited to play the psychopath roles that his dad (Wings Hauser) played in the '80s. Then, they have a detective who just kinda skims over all of the evidence that points directly to the hero. And what's up with the celebrity cameos? I believe they may have edited out Chris Rock's line where he says, "I'm black, AND I'm a pizza boy! Ain't that a bitch!" And Mel Gibson's cameo could have been a little less gratuitous. I didn't realize it was him at first; good thing the camera lingered on him for five minutes. And I just happened to be thinking how Cole Hauser was a discount bin version of Matthew McCounaughey, when, motherfucker, Matthew McCounaughey appears on screen. A terrible movie, but, seriously, nowhere NEAR as bad as The Village.