Saturday, January 22, 2005

Who Likes Vintage Adidas?


I do! As someone who can't own enough pairs of Sambas, I got quite a kick out of seeing Adidas Zissous in The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Ugly shoes, but a funny product placement, nonetheless. Oh, what did I think of the movie, you ask? Well, it's like all Wes Anderson movies: you're either all the way on board, or not at all. I enjoyed it, even though it's probably his second worst movie (Bottle Rocket is first). Roger Ebert said it has "terminal whimsy". Oh, it sure is whimsical. And funny. And odder than shit (what's with the random gun battles strewn throughout?). But, it's essentially plotless. And a lot of the things that were suppose to come across as emotional don't come across at all (I should note that of the eight people that were in the theatre when I saw this, five of them walked out early, and I was the only one laughing at any given point, but not in a creepy, Max Cady way, as a friend of mine alluded). If you don't like W.A., or haven't seen any of his movies, don't see this one, because you'll hate his other movies by association; this is like the AP course in Wes Anderson movies. Fans will enjoy this just because you know what you're getting. Slightly disappointing, but still enjoyable.

No comments: