Sunday, January 07, 2007

Going Straight To Video Waaaaay Before Its Time.


About six months ago, I saw a poster for Idiocracy, Mike Judge's new movie, in the local theatre. Now, where I live in The JVL, which is so far away from the pulse of America that I sometimes wonder if it doesn't exist in an alternate dimension, if a movie isn't going to be showing at that theatre, they don't advertise it. Mike Judge has never failed to make me laugh, so I was pretty geeked to see it.

Time came and went, the poster came down, and the movie never showed. In fact, I never heard about it getting released anywhere. I kinda forgot about it, actually.

So, I'm at Blockbuster the other day, and, there it is: Idiocracy, new to video. Totally bypassed the theatre, as far as I can tell.

Here's what I don't get: 20th Century Fox, who released Idiocracy, will give a 2500 screen rollout to The Marine, a moronic Commando-ripoff starring vehicle for the WWE champion, yet will throw a movie that might actually be enjoyable to watch directly into the DTV bin. I just don't get it.

BTW, the movie's hilarious; check it out.

No comments: