Sunday, January 28, 2007

Last Five Movies


I'm in a movies mood, so I'll do another one of these.

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
I recently rewatched The Devil's Rejects, and it's such a well-made film that I thought maybe my initial assessment of Corpses (that it was terrible) was wrong. So, I watched it again. And still the same piece of shit that I originally thought it to be. Time changed nothing.

The Queen (2006)
This pretty much seals the deal on Helen Mirren winning an Oscar. Good flick, even if it does seem about an hour too long. I also noticed that The Wife was the youngest person in the theatre by about 20 years; I came in a close second.

Smokin' Aces (2007)
Does Joe Carnahan not realize that Pulp Fiction came out 12 years ago? Making a Pulp Fiction ripoff is soooo 1996. I think there should be a moratorium on massively cast, dialogue-driven gangster movies. Tarantino pretty much put that whole genre to bed. Oh, and even though Jason Bateman's only in this movie for about two minutes, he steals the whole fucking thing right out from under everyone. It may be worth a watch just for him.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
I must have some sort of mental illness, thinking that this might be even marginally watchable. It's a Michael Bay production, which means it's the opposite of watchable.

An off-beat choice, but...

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Del Toro has never done me wrong. And his newest movie is as good as all of the buzz it's getting. The thing about this movie (other than I don't think anyone realizes it's in Spanish) is that people seem to think that it's some sort of kids' movie, along the lines of that Muppet movie Labyrinth. The little kids in the theatre when I saw this were treated to graphic scenes of war, torture, murder, and a man sewing his face back together. Needless to say, it's not for kids. But any adult should most definitely see it.

Good flick; check it out.

No comments: