Sunday, February 03, 2008

Eli Manning Is Going To Disney World


Some random thoughts on the Super Bowl:

-Too bad 18-1 doesn't count as a perfect season. I don't think anyone will ever do it again, but "perfect" means no losses.

-Plaxico Burress, who completely destroyed the Packers to get to the Super Bowl, is shut down for two catches. Luckily, one of them was the game-winning touchdown.

-On the losing team, Wes Welker caught a record-tying 11 passes to cap off a season that would have put him in the Pro Bowl if he didn't play on the same team as Randy Moss. I know: "Wes Who?"

-I saw a graphic that claimed that the Patriots had the 2nd fewest yards of offense at halftime in Super Bowl history. Number one on that list? The '85 Pats team that got smoked by the Super Bears.

-In a completely ridiculous move, the NFL puts one second back on the game clock and forces the Giants to run one last play. Bill Belichick is already in the locker room. Nice.

-While it was nice to see the NFL haul Doug Williams out of mothballs to present the Lombardi Trophy, I'm not sure I understand exactly why they chose him. Was Phil Simms busy? He at least played for the Giants.

-I'm not sure what they paid the cast of Prison Break to stage a break in at the Super Bowl, but it was well worth it. T-Bag rules!

-Good slate of commercials this year. My favorite was the Bridgestone commercial with Alice Cooper and his snake in the road.

-Even though he's a better fit for the Super Bowl, Tom Petty was nowhere near as good as Prince was last year. I don't even think his guitar was plugged in. (Prince's sure was, and in a rain storm, to boot.)

-This was the most-watched Super Bowl ever. In fact, so many people watched it that it's become the 2nd most-watched program ever, behind the series finale of M*A*S*H. Maybe the Patriots and Giants should play in every Super Bowl.

Overall, one of the better Super Bowls in a while. It was a letdown not to see the perfect season come to fruition, but I'm sure Tom Brady will get over it later tonight when Gisele disrobes for his sympathy fuck. And I'm sure the kids in Somalia prefer getting shirts claiming the Patriots won Super Bowl 42.

Maybe they won't get so lucky next year.

3 comments:

Jesus Melendez said...

I've had the Petty conversations...and most of us thought he was pretty good. I mean, he looked good...sounded excellent. Possibly the best half-time show in a long, long time.

THEN...I brought up Prince and we all moved Petty down a peg.

E said...

People discount Prince's performance, but I defy you to name a better one.

Jesus Melendez said...

I can't...that's my point!