Sunday, February 10, 2008

"You're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat," He Says


Just wanted to mention the myeloma-related death of Roy Scheider. He was 75.

And, not to beat a literally dead horse, but this is another example of a guy whose passing will be greatly overlooked. Here's a guy who was in the business for 50 years, was the star in one of the highest-grossing movies of all time (a movie that everyone has seen), uttered the immortal line which I co-opted as my post title, yet he might get a page-length writeup in any of next week's magazines. Might.

Heath Ledger, on the other hand...well, I don't remember exactly when he died, but he's still on the front page of every tabloid this week.

As for Scheider's career, I'm a fan of Jaws, just like everybody else. I also enjoyed him as Bob Fosse's doppleganger in All That Jazz and his goofy turn as Dr. Benway in Naked Lunch.

Yet another one of the great old-timers bites the dust. He'll be missed.

No comments: