Monday, February 18, 2008

The NBA All-Star Game

I really didn't watch that much of the NBA All-Star Game, as I switched it off to be disappointed by the Knight Rider movie (which was terrible), but here's a couple of comments on what I did see.

-When did the player introductions become a Cirque du Soleil production number? The last time I actually sat down and watched an All-Star Game was 1989, and the players just trotted out on the floor when their names where announced. It about as elaborate as the visiting team introductions of any given NBA game. I guess some things have changed since then.

-And, speaking of changes, when did they move tip-off to 8:00 pm? This thing used to be on, like, 4:00 in the afternoon. Again, with the changes.

-As you can see from the picture above, this year's game featured the most confusing uniforms of all time. (Kidd and Iverson were not on the same team.) They were only colored on one side, but it was the opposide side on both uniforms, so you could only tell they were on different teams when the East players were facing you and the West players had their backs to you. The other way around, they appeared to be on the same team. I'm so confused, I may still be wrong on that.

-It was nice of Kobe to clock in his three minutes before sitting on the bench for the remaining 45. No, his finger injury isn't that serious. Not at all.

-Speaking of Kobe, when The Girl found out he was playing, she said, "What's he doing there? How's my team going to win now?" (Girl's a big Wade fan.) Turns out, she needn't have worried.

-While I appreciate the NBA and Harry Connick Jr's attempt to enlighten us on the New Orleans jazz scene, can't we do better than that for a half-time show? Do I really need to haul this out again to show the potential of a half-time show? Apparently, I do.

Really, not a great All-Star Game. As I mentioned earlier, it'd been 19 years since that last one I watched, and, if they're all like this, it'll be another 19 before I watch another.

Bravo, NBA, for knowing how to disappoint.

No comments: