Monday, February 11, 2008

Who Knew?

So, the Grammys were last night. The big shocker of the evening (other than the fact that Amy Winehouse was still alive to attend the ceremony live via satellite) was that Herbie Hancock won the biggest award of the night, the Album of the Year Grammy. It was one of two Grammys Hancock won last night, the other being Best Jazz Album.

Up until this point in time, I guess I realized that Herbie Hancock wasn't dead, but what I didn't realize is that he was still a vital and important musician. I mean, can you name any other Hancock song that isn't "Rockit"? (And if you can, I'm going to stab you in the throat for making shit up.) I also didn't realize that the two Grammys he won last night were the 11th and 12th of his career (and yes, one of those was for "Rockit"). Who knew?

Maybe it's me, but I think it's odd that an album of Joni Mitchell covers would win Best Album. I know the new Foo Fighters record isn't that good, but...seriously?

Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Jethro Tull did beat out Metallica that one time for the Best Heavy Metal Grammy. I guess having the word "metal" in your band's name counts for nothing in that category.

No comments: